Located at the top of Mount Mtatsminda that overlooks Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, the Mtatsminda Park is a fun spot for both children and adults alike. Situated at the height of 770 meters, which is the highest point of Tbilisi, it is a leisure park that offers view of the city that are nothing less than spectacular.
The Mtatsminda Park was founded in the 1930s by the Soviet government and was once the third most visited park in the whole of USSR. The park was renovated and reconstructed after 2001, but it has had a controversial history. Today, thanks to its height, the Mtatsminda Park is the best place for people to cool down during hot summer days and enjoy the breathtaking views of the whole city. The place and the views are even more spectacular at night, when Tbilisi turns on its numerous lights.
How to Reach the Park?
The Mtatsminda Park is 7.5 kilometers from the center of Tbilisi. There are several ways that you can get to the park. If you travel by car, it will take you an average of 12 to 15 minutes on average whereas a bus ride will take you to the park in 15 to 20 minutes. If you decide to walk to the park, it will take you around 45 minutes to get there. However, the shortest way to get to the park is the furnicular as it will get you there in a few minutes. The Furnicular railway was built in 1905 and its station is located on Daniel Chongqzade Street, next to Vilnius Square. It will cost you about 2 GEL and you will be at the park in six minutes.
Getting Inside the Park
Getting into Mtatsminda Park is free of cost. You can simply purchase a plastic card at the entrance and can top it up for using it on the various attractions. You have to pay 2 GEL for the plastic card and can top it up as much as you want.
Attractions and Entertainment
Spread over 100 hectares, the Mtatsminda Park provides a wide range of entertainment opportunities to its visitors, such as carousels, water slides and a roller coaster. The park is divided into three categories, which are kids, family and extreme zones. The rides in each of the zones are according to age to ensure there is no risk. The most notable attraction in the park is none other than the Giant Ferrish Wheel, which is quite tall at 65 meters high. It boasts a total of 44 cabins and each of them can hold 6 people. It makes a full revolution in about 10 to 12 minutes and gives you some beautiful views of the city.
Some other great family attractions include:
- Wood-land: This is an excellent spot for kids because it has wooden huts, seesaws, hammocks, a large ship, wooden toys in different colors and more.
- Happy Train: This is a family train where you can sit with kids and enjoy the ride. The train stops at the center of the park and takes 10 minutes to take 40 people around the park.
- Big Cars: There are 10 cars that move on the floor at the same time and each can take approximately 2 people. You have to be at least eight years old to drive the car and it is a lot of fun.
Some extreme rides include:
- Ghost Castle: As the name indicates, it is a castle that’s a must-see for those who love horror movies. It is full of monsters and chopped heads and what not, which makes it suitable for people who don’t get scared easily.
- Log Rafting: The logs slide into the water in this attraction and there are two heights from which they come. Three people can take this ride at the same time.
Apart from rides, the Mtatsminda Park also has many food stands and restaurants where you can enjoy a wide array of foods. You can enjoy Georgian and European cuisine, hot beverages, delicious cocktails and desserts, different wines and juices etc. There is also space for holding events, such as birthdays and weddings, which is a great plus for people looking for a beautiful venue.